Sunday, August 24, 2014

Not your average pencil box....with tutorial!!!



School time is almost here, for many it's the first day of school of a new year but for my oldest daughter Rylee it's the first day ever of school! It's new and exciting for her and it just means it's one step closer to my little girl growing up :( but, no more sappiness! On to the good stuff!

I was out shopping for school supplies and I wanted to keep it budget friendly. We got everything on the list including a plastic pencil box which costed a whooping .50. Rylee picked out a blue one. I wanted to give rylee a chance to spruce it up. I brainstormed a few ideas and decided mod podge and glitter it would be. Then I realized I was out of mod podge... After my oh  **** moment I had to think on my feet. Then it hit me, I use to cover wipe cases with fabric and realized that would work perfectly! I took to my fabric stash and dug out some aqua chevron (rylees favorite print and color) and I dug out some glitter ribbon.

After a little cutting, hot glueing and accessorizing here it is!!

 
She loved it!!

We filled it with school goodies!


Wanna make one??

Here are the steps:

Supplies:
You need a fat quarter of cotton fabric.
A piece of cotton batting or white felt.
Scissors
Hot glue
Ribbon
Cotton, thread, needle for rosette (optional)
Appliqué name (optional) I created mine on my brother embroidery machine with felt and blue thread.



First I cut a piece of fabric the size of the top of the box.

Next I cut a piece of quilting batting to fit the top of the box and hot glued it on. (This covers those raised square areas on the box and makes the top soft)


After glueing the batting down I started glueing down the chevron a little at a time making sure that the glue was hot. I had extra fabric hanging off the front so I folded it under and glued it down instead of trying to cut the extra off. I wanted to keep the chevron pattern nice and even. I finished by glueing the corners down last.



This was a great project to do with my baby girl. <3

 
It should look rough but don't worry thats why I used ribbon!

Glittery pink ribbon!
I started in the front with the ribbon and carefully glued it down. I paid special attention to the corners as I worked my way around the box. Tip: make sure to glue part of the ribbon to the plastic and the other part the fabric creating a nice clean edge.
After working around the whole box I cut a piece that is half the width of the ribbon and glue it above the tab.

Now you I have a blank canvas!

I added an appliqué on the top by just hot glueing it on. I also added the hand sewn flower detail by simply stitching it on. There are so many ideas or things you can add the this box to make it special!

Total cost of project: Under $5

-Lizzy Sue

Make a box??? Post a picture with hashtag: #lizzysues


No comments:

Post a Comment