Thursday, June 9, 2016

Plush Whimsical Deer Mount





My husband is Mr. outdoorsman. If he can spend a day in the woods or an afternoon next to a creek he's there. It's only normal for my kids to follow suit. My husband believes in teaching our kids to live off the land. Having a man in my life so rough and tough only means one thing, lots of taxidermy. To be honest I'm not the biggest fan, but he puts up with my constant crafting, and my lack of house duties. So I've learned to appreciate his hobby. When I first discovered these whimsical versions of there taxidermy counterparts I was ecstatic. 

It was the dead of winter and I spent days day dreaming this design. I could see it in my head and translated it to a pattern. 

I found this amazing mint fabric with gold hearts at Joann fabrics. After drafting my pattern I cut out the fabric pieces. I'm not gonna lie, I was nervous about this pattern being just right. If it was off even at the slightest point the whole design would look odd. 

After sewing everything here is what I got:


I added the antlers and made them out of a hot pink polka dot. I then stated making fabric and felt flowers for the head.


After attaching the flowers it was time to paint the base.


I had a helper. 😊

After the base dried I carefully added the head to the base. I added a gator hook to the back and voila! I was finished. 
 My girls were so excited about there new piece of art work. This design took me about two weeks to draft and sew. I've considered releasing my pattern but for now I'll leave the option open for a custom one made by me. 

My online shop is www.lizzysueandher2.etsy.com

Please do not use my photos with out credit or a link back to my website. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment